- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Rotorua Airport (airport code ROT) is 10 km (6 mi) from the city center on Highway 33. Taxi fare to the city is about NZ$45-$50. You could also arrange for a ride (NZ$19) with Super Shuttle; call ahead for a reservation.
Rotorua is easy to get around. The streets follow a neat grid pattern, and walking from the lake to the southern end of town takes only a few minutes. Fenton Street, the wide main drag that comes into town from Taupo, starts around the thermal spot of Whakarewarewa. For about 3 km (2 mi), it's lined with motels and hotels until just before it reaches the lakefront, where it becomes more commercial, with shops, restaurants, and the Tourism Rotorua Visitor Information Centre, which has a tour-reservation desk, a map shop operated by the Department of Conservation, and a lost-luggage facility. Right alongside in the same building is an Internet café and a gift shop.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe