- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kaitiaki Adventures. The folks in Rotorua keep coming up with ever more fearsome ways to part adventurers from their money (and their wits). Try white-water sledging with Kaitiaki Adventures. For around NZ$109–$299 you get a trip shooting rapids on a plastic water raft the size of a Boogie board and a soak in a natural hot pool. They supply a wet suit, helmet, fins, and gloves. 0800/338–736. www.sledge-it.com.
Agrodome Adventures. Outside town and part of the Agrodome complex, there's Agrodome Adventures. Try bungy jumping from a 140-foot-high crane, or the Swoop where one, two, or three people are put into a hang-gliding harness and raised 120 feet off the ground before a rip cord is released. If you're looking for further thrills, try Freefall Extreme, where a 180-kph (108-mph) wind from a giant fan lifts you 10 feet into the air... or then again there's the Shweeb, a five-car monorail racetrack using pedal power. The cost to get you screaming varies from NZ$49 to NZ$95, or your choice of any three for $120. 07/357–4747. 9–5 daily.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe