- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Skyline Skyrides Review
A 2,900-foot cable-car system brings you to the summit of Mt. Ngongotaha for spectacular views over Lake Rotorua. At the summit, 1,600 feet above sea level, there's a café, a restaurant, a souvenir shop, a shooting gallery, and the Sky Swing, another Kiwi way of triggering a heart attack. Don't miss the luge track, where you can take hair-raisingly fast rides on wheeled bobsled-like luges. (You can also go slowly; a braking system gives you full control of your speed.) The track runs partway down the mountain, winding through the redwood trees; from the bottom, you can return to the summit on a separate chairlift.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
We have just returned from two weeks in the land of the long white cloud although we only saw cloud on two days and rain on one!
We spent a week in the Bay of Islands with the highlight being sailing i Read more
Hi, all -- since I find other people's trip reports so helpful I've decided to post one of mine. Read more
Greetings... we just booked flights; 4 weeks in South Island, in and out of Christchurch in February/March 2014. First trip. We could use lots of advice! We are active 60ish who love to hike, bike, kayak. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more