East Coast and the Volcanic Zone Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to the East Coast and the Volcanic Zone
Hiking and Walking: The eastern coast of the North Island has several excellent bushwalking trails, including the Tongariro Crossing, which brings you through the alpine areas in Tongariro National Park. Some of the country's most rugged bush is in Te Urewera National Park.
Māori Ceremonial Feast: Rotorua may be the best place in New Zealand to try the Māori feast known as a hāngi.
Soaking: In Rotorua and Taupo, thermal springs are on tap. You can soak in your own thermal bath in even the cheapest hotels in Rotorua or take advantage of public facilities such as Polynesian Spa.
World-Class Fishing: Central North Island is trout country. You can get out on any of the designated lakes and waterways if you have your own gear and a fishing license—but a local guide can take you to the right spots.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's