Whangamata Surf Shop. There is a surf school in this big surfing town but if you want a quick introduction you'd do a lot worse than checking into the Whangamata Surf Shop, owned by local surfing legend, Dean Williams. The shop, in the center of town and recognized by its bright orange exterior, has surfboards, boogie boards and wetsuits for rent, plus they'll take you out for a surfing lesson! Just $50 covers surfboard rental and an instructor for an hour. 634 Port Rd., Whangamata, 3620. 07/865–8252.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe