Whangamata Surf Shop. If you're looking for a quick introduction to surfing, check out the Whangamata Surf Shop, owned by local surfing legend, Dean Williams. The shop, in the center of town and recognized by its bright orange exterior, has surfboards, boogie boards and wetsuits for rent, plus they also offer surfing lessons. $80 covers a surfboard rental and an instructor for an hour. You can book at the shop, or, during summer, they're also set up down on the beach, looking out for you. 634 Port Rd., Whangamata, 3620. 07/865–8252.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's