The Coromandel Ranges back Whangamata (fahng-a-ma-ta), another harborside village. This was once a town of modest houses and a population of 4,000, but it's been discovered by people wanting a holiday home reasonably close to Auckland. Its harbor, surf beaches, mangroves, and coastal islands are glorious. In summer, the population more than triples. It's a great spot for deep-sea fishing, and its bar break creates some of the best waves in New Zealand. For classic and muscle car enthusiasts, the Whangamata Beach Hop held each year at the end of April is a must-go. You'll see amazing classic cars and listen to some of the best rock-and-roll bands around.
Whangamata at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Coromandel Peninsula and the Bay of Plenty
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's