The Coromandel Ranges back Whangamata (fahng-a-ma-ta), another harborside village. This was once a town of modest houses and a population of 4,000, but it's been discovered by people wanting a holiday home reasonably close to Auckland. Its harbor, surf beaches, mangroves, and coastal islands are glorious. In summer, the population more than triples. It's a great spot for deep-sea fishing, and its bar break creates some of the best waves in New Zealand. For classic and muscle car enthusiasts, the Whangamata Beach Hop held each year at the end of April is a must-go. You'll see amazing classic cars and listen to some of the best rock-and-roll bands around.
Whangamata at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Coromandel Peninsula and the Bay of Plenty
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand