Fishing and Diving
Diveworks. Diveworks provide diving and fishing trips on their 33-foot Sportfisher speedboat. You can fish 'in-shore' for species like snapper and gurnard, further out for bluenose, hapuka and kingfish or into the big deep blue for pelagics such as marlin. Prices vary, depending on the length of the expedition and how far out you go. Email or call for details. The Strand, Whakatane, Whakatane, 3120. 07/308 2001 or 0800/354-7737. email@example.com. www.diveworks-charters.com.
Dive White Island. White Island, 48 km off the shore of Whakatane, is one of New Zealand's most active volcanoes. The diving around this volcanic landform is regarded as outstanding, with unique volcanic features and a huge amount of marine life. Dive White Island offers guided day trips, with professional divers. It takes an hour to boat out to White Island, then you get time for two dives, lunch (included), and a close-up look at the island itself (from the boat only). Trips depart at 7:30 am and return at about 4 pm; the cost is NZ$395 (all dive gear included) or NZ$295 (bring your own gear). 186 The Strand, Whakatane, 3120. 07/307–0714. www.divewhite.co.nz.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's