Dolphin- and Whale-watching
Whales and Dolphin Watch. For closer aqueous encounters of the mammalian kind, Whales and Dolphin Watch, run by local boating/diving/fishing experts Diveworks, will take you on a four-hour cruise from Whakatane Wharf. Wet suits and snorkels for swimming with the dolphins and seals are provided, or you can just watch. From November though March, cruises leave daily at 8:30 am and 1 pm; other times of the year cruise times depend on weather and demand. Costs range from $130 (just to watch) to $160 (to swim). It's likely whales will cruise along as well. 96 The Strand, Whakatane, 3120. 0800/354–7737 or 07/308–2001. www.whalesanddolphinwatch.co.nz.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's