Dolphin- and Whale-watching
Whales and Dolphin Watch. For closer aqueous encounters of the mammalian kind, Whales and Dolphin Watch runs four-hour cruises. Wet suits and snorkels for swimming with the dolphins are provided (or you can just watch). From November though March, cruises leave daily at 7:15 am, 8:30 am, and 1 pm; other times of the year cruise times depend on weather and demand. Costs range from $130 to $160. 96 The Strand, Whakatane, 3120. 0800/354–7737 or 07/308–2001. www.whalesanddolphinwatch.co.nz.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe