InterCity Coachlines, Go Kiwi Shuttles, and nakedbus link Whitianga and Thames with Auckland daily; the trip is just over two hours from Auckland to Thames and just over three hours to Whitianga. Bus travel within the region is reliable, although less frequent in winter. InterCity, Go Kiwi, and nakedbus make daily trips between Coromandel, Thames, Whitianga, and other stops throughout the peninsula.
InterCity and Go Kiwi have special Coromandel hop-on hop-off passes; the Go Kiwi pass is good for a month, and the InterCity pass is valid for three. nakedbus is an inexpensive "no-frills" option.
Go Kiwi Shuttles. Links Auckland, Auckland Airport and towns of The Coromandel, plus personal charters. 0800/446549. www.go-kiwi.co.nz.
InterCity Coachlines (07/868–7251 or 0800/222–146. www.intercity.co.nz.)
nakedbus (0900/62533. www.nakedbus.com.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's