There are some tiny airstrips along the Coromandel Peninsula and a commercial airport at Tauranga. A number of scenic-flight operators offer trips over the region.
Heli Trips. Heli Trips provides flights from both Auckland Airport and downtown Auckland to the Coromandel or Tauranga, including Whitianga, Tairua, Coromandel townships and anywhere that they're cleared for landing. The price may be exorbitant (starting at $1,600), but the flight is quick (about 30 minutes) and the views are outstanding. 0800/435–487. www.coromandelhelicopters.co.nz.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's