The Coromandel and Bay of Plenty regions are about two to three hours southeast of Auckland and west of the Waikato farming district and are a mix of rugged and forested hill country and rich plains used for horticulture. It's about a seven-hour drive from Wellington and one to two hours from Hamilton and Rotorua. Bay of Plenty, with its strong horticultural focus, is dotted with small rural towns fanning out from Tauranga's relatively big port. Many of the Coromandel's small settlements are based on former ports that were used to transport logs in earlier days, when the forests were milled.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's