Getting Here and Around
Although named for a journey that used to take 309 minutes, the 309 Road is now the shortest route between Coromandel and Whitianga; it cuts right across the peninsula. The mostly unpaved road is winding and narrow and takes 35-40 minutes to cross. If you are traveling in a camper van, it's best to leave early in the morning to avoid traffic. If you end up behind one, be patient. The surrounding landscape alternates between farmland, pine trees, and native forest, with numerous reasons to stop along the way. Look for the 309 Road brochure at visitor information centers.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's