Getting Here and Around
If you're not driving, you can take a public bus to Thames from Auckland, Hamilton, Tauranga, or any of the smaller towns on the main road en route from these cities. If you're coming from the nearest big city, a bus ticket shouldn't cost you more than about NZ$15-$25.
You can pick up a rental car at the Auckland airport and drive on down to Coromandel, or you can take a bus and rent a car when you arrive in Thames. At the Thames Information Centre, located right where the bus deposits you, ask for rental car advice.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe