Getting Here and Around
To explore the town center, start at the Strand, a lovely tree-lined street that separates the shops from the sea. Bars, restaurants, and cafés line the Strand and nearby side streets. If you're interested in the beachier side of Tauranga, head 8 km (5 mi) east out of the city center and over the Harbor Bridge to Mount Maunganui. Here, you'll find one of the best surf spots in the country along the 20 km (12½ mi) shoreline, a sheltered, harbor-side swimming spot, as well as shopping, restaurants, and the prominent small volcano Mauao.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe