Waimarino Glowworm Kayaking. After you've had your fill of local wines, cheeses, and fresh fruit on the banks of Lake McLaren at dusk, plus a careful safety talk, the guides of Waimarino Glowworm Kayaking will help you into your kayak and take you on a gentle, two-hour, nighttime trip across the lake and into a narrow canyon, where the walls are lined with thousands of glowworms. Floating in the dark and the silence (everyone has to be quiet or the glowworms "turn off") is an amazing sensation. You don't need kayaking expertise; you will be well cared for. The whole tour takes about three and a half hours. Transport to the lake (about a 15 minute drive) is included, from Waimarino Adventure Park. Departure times change as the evenings draw out, check the website for exact times. These guys will also take you for genteel day time paddles on Lake McLaren, but you won't see any glowworms! 36 Taniwha Pl., Wairoa River, Bethlehem, Tauranga, Tauranga, 3172. 07/576–4233. www.waimarino.com. $120 (gourmet dinner trip $190).
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's