New Zealand Surf School, Mount Maunganui. Mount Maunganui is one of New Zealand's premier surfing beaches, so where better to learn to surf? The New Zealand Surf School gives lessons here November through April at 10, noon, and 2 every day, starting at $80, which includes all the gear. They also rent surfboards and wet suits by the hour or day and have the experience to work with people with a range of special needs. During the peak of summer, look for their tent on the Marine Parade Beach, opposite Grove Avenue. Marine Parade opposite Grove Avenue., Mount Maunganui, 3116. 021/477–873. www.nzsurfschool.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's