Fodor's New Zealand
Mount Bistro Review
The prices set this restaurant apart from other Mount Maunganui options, but then, so does the chef and his menu. The street-side restaurant looks out onto Mauao (Mt Maunganui). In the open-plan kitchen, nationally renowned chef Stephen Barry fuses indigenous ingredients with Pacific Rim flavors. The chef, and the restaurant, have won pretty well every culinary award going since opening in 2007, not least New Zealand Restaurant of the Year 2010. From the a la carte menu, the entree of "Sword n Sauce-ry" (skewer of scallops, prawn tail, crayfish, salmon, fresh fish flambeed with horopito and lime vodka served with dipping sauces) is just one of a number of Barry's standout, signature dishes.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We recently returned from a visit down under and have posted a review of our cruise on that forum. Read more
I had a few extra days after a meeting in Christchurch to see some places I've missed in previous trips to NZ. Read more
My husband and I are going to be in New Zealand from March 19-26. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more