Coromandel Peninsula and the Bay of Plenty Sights

Advertisement

Guidebooks

Thames School of Mines Mineralogical Museum

Thames School of Mines Mineralogical Museum Review

The School of Mines provided practical instruction to the gold miners of the mid-1880s; the museum was established in 1900 to exhibit geological samples. The school closed decades ago, but the museum's still kicking, displaying those turn-of-the-20th-century rock specimens along with scales, models of stamper batteries, and other gold-mining paraphernalia.

    Contact Information

  • Address: Brown and Cochrane Sts., Thames, 3500 | Map It
  • Phone: 07/868–6227
  • Cost: $10
  • Hours: Wed.–Sun. 11–3.
  • Location: Thames
Updated: 02-18-2014

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

View more trip reports

View more travel discussions

· News & Features

View more blog stories