Fodor's New Zealand
The Church Accommodation
At a Glance
- range of accommodations
- lovely garden
- at least 10-minute walk to the beach
Check Rates from our Partners
The Church Accommodation Review
Originally a 1916 Methodist church from another town, dismantled, shifted, and rebuilt, the Church is worth a visit even if you're not staying the night. The church itself, on the main road heading into Hahei, is now a gracious restaurant, a little more upmarket than the cafés closer to the beach. It is run as a separate business from the accommodation, but it's pleasant to be able to stroll from your cottage to the church to dine. Accommodation options include character-filled wooden studios and cottages, connected by winding garden paths, and each decorated with stained glass and small arched windows. Some have wood fires and all are built with recycled timber in keeping with the style of the church; all have a little porch overlooking the gardens. There's a mix of studios, self-contained cottages with kitchenettes and separate bedroom, and a three-bedroom house in a private setting apart from the other units. Prices range from NZ$140 to NZ$250. A communal lounge has Sky television and indoor/outdoor BBQ area. Free Wi-Fi runs throughout the property.
- Address: 87 Hahei Beach Rd., Hahei, 3591 | Map It
- Phone: 07/866–3533
- Website: www.thechurchhahei.co.nz
- Location: Around Hahei
- 11 wooden cottages, 1 3 bedroom house.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed a few wks mid-winter. Dates vary, so check first.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Thank you to all the Fodorites who helped plan this trip of a lifetime. Read more
Since this board, especially Mel, was so helpful to me while I planned my trip I wanted to pay it forward and do a short trip report. Read more
We are a couple in our mid 60's taking our first trip to NZ & Australia.
Since we will be flying from Boston, USA, we will stay a night in LA and then on to Aukland. We are now thinking maybe one week Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more