At a Glance
- range of accommodations
- lovely garden
- basic furnishings
The Church Review
Originally a 1916 Methodist church from another town, dismantled, shifted and rebuilt, the Church is worth a visit even if you're not staying the night. The church itself, on the main road heading into Hahei, is now a gracious restaurant, a little more upmarket than the cafes closer to the beach. Yet it maintains a relaxed country vibe. Travelers and locals mull over choices such as Black Angus Eye fillet or the macadamia (locally grown) dukkha-crusted rack of lamb with roast vegetables with a red currant jus. The accommodation is just behind the church. The wooden studios and cottages are connected by winding garden paths, each decorated with stained glass and small arched windows, some with wood fires and all built with recycled timber in keeping with the style of the church. The rooms are small but bright, and each has a back porch overlooking the gardens. A communal lounge has Sky television, Internet and indoor/outdoor BBQ area.There's also a three bedroom house, in a private setting slightly apart from the other units.
- Address: 87 Hahei Beach Rd., Hahei, 3591 | Map It
- Phone: 07/866–3533
- Hours: Restaurant closed June–Sep. and Sun.& and Mon. Easter to June
- Website: www.thechurchhahei.co.nz
- Location: Around Hahei
- 11 wooden cottages, 1 3 bedroom house.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Hai everyone... I finally visited New Zealand... Yeay!!!! I am pretty proud of myself because I did all the driving and planning... We had 12 days journey in North Island from October 13 to October 24.. Read more
August 15-Sept 14, 2013
My love affair with the South Island of New Zealand continues. Read more
Hi guys, I'm starting to organize my wardrobe for 5 days in Sydney and 10 day cruise to Auckland on Regent Voyager in January. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more