- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- range of accommodations
- lovely garden
- basic furnishings
The Church Review
Originally a 1916 Methodist church from another town, dismantled, shifted and rebuilt, the Church is worth a visit even if you're not staying the night. The church itself, on the main road heading into Hahei, is now a gracious restaurant, a little more upmarket than the cafes closer to the beach. Yet it maintains a relaxed country vibe. Travelers and locals mull over choices such as Black Angus Eye fillet or the macadamia (locally grown) dukkha-crusted rack of lamb with roast vegetables with a red currant jus. The accommodation is just behind the church. The wooden studios and cottages are connected by winding garden paths, each decorated with stained glass and small arched windows, some with wood fires and all built with recycled timber in keeping with the style of the church. The rooms are small but bright, and each has a back porch overlooking the gardens. A communal lounge has Sky television, Internet and indoor/outdoor BBQ area.There's also a three bedroom house, in a private setting slightly apart from the other units.
- Address: 87 Hahei Beach Rd., Hahei, 3591 | Map It
- Phone: 07/866-3533
- Hours: Restaurant closed June--Sep. and Sun.& and Mon. Easter to June
- Website: www.thechurchhahei.co.nz
- Location: Around Hahei
- 11 wooden cottages, 1 3 bedroom house.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1298 -- New Zealand in 'Summer' w/Tahiti Stop, $795 Off Air Tahiti Nui & Tourism New Zealand
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T — $1,120 Air New Zealand
We have just returned from two weeks in the land of the long white cloud although we only saw cloud on two days and rain on one!
We spent a week in the Bay of Islands with the highlight being sailing i Read more
Hi, all -- since I find other people's trip reports so helpful I've decided to post one of mine. Read more
For some time I've been haunting these boards and butting into other people's threads, so i thought that it was high time that I had a go at working out my own itinerary for you all to take pot shots at. Read more
· News & Features
Niagara Falls is a bucket-list-worthy sight to behold, whether you're ogling it from the Canada side,... Read more
A sculpture of a Greek goddess welcomes you in from the streets of London's Soho neighborhood.... Read more
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more