Fodor's New Zealand
Kaiate Falls (Te Rerekawau)
Kaiate Falls (Te Rerekawau) Review
The falls are a little off-the-beaten-track but worth the trip, driving past kiwi fruit orchards, farms and forest. About 15 minutes southeast of Tauranga, just off Welcome Bay Road, the Kaiate Stream drops over bluffs in a series of waterfalls and rocky lagoons, culminating in a deep green lagoon flanked by moss- and fern-fringed cliffs. A 20- to 30-minute loop trail takes you down to the main lagoon and through lush greenery. The falls' summit (and the parking lot) affords views over Tauranga and the coast. To get there, turn off Welcome Bay Road onto Waitao Road, after a few kilometres turn onto Kaiate Falls Road the after 1km turn into the Kaiate Falls Scenic Reserve carpark. The track is clearly signposted from here.
- Address: Kaiate Falls Road, Tauranga, 3175
- Phone: 07/578–7677
- Location: Tauranga
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Thank you to all the Fodorites who helped plan this trip of a lifetime. Read more
Since this board, especially Mel, was so helpful to me while I planned my trip I wanted to pay it forward and do a short trip report. Read more
We are a couple in our mid 60's taking our first trip to NZ & Australia.
Since we will be flying from Boston, USA, we will stay a night in LA and then on to Aukland. We are now thinking maybe one week Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more