Fodor's New Zealand
Goldmine Experience Review
To learn about early gold-mining efforts in the Coromandel, stop in at the Goldmine Experience, a few minute's drive north of town. Take a 40-minute underground tour of the old Golden Crown Claim, which was first worked in 1868. From early 2014 the mine has reopened after a major upgrade and installation of new stampers. You'll need sturdy, closed-toe footwear because it can be muddy underground. You can also pan for gold on the surface. Five hundred feet below, the Caledonia strike was one of the richest in the world. Be sure to call or email first to book a tour; attendance here is a bit haphazard.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We recently returned from a visit down under and have posted a review of our cruise on that forum. Read more
I had a few extra days after a meeting in Christchurch to see some places I've missed in previous trips to NZ. Read more
My husband and I are going to be in New Zealand from March 19-26. Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more