Butterfly and Orchid Garden
Butterfly and Orchid Garden Review
A few minutes' drive north on the way out of Thames, it's easy to miss this garden unless you're specifically looking for the signs. It doesn't look impressive when you get there—but don't let that put you off. Roger and Sabine Gass have brought some color to the Coromandel with a flock of butterflies from Australia. Now, up to 20 species and 400 butterflies from all over the world may be on view at any time, including large Birdwing butterflies. Birds such as finches, doves, and quails join the butterflies along with about 100 different plant species. The heliconia (or false bird-of-paradise) and orchids are particularly stunning.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
We have just returned from two weeks in the land of the long white cloud although we only saw cloud on two days and rain on one!
We spent a week in the Bay of Islands with the highlight being sailing i Read more
Hi, all -- since I find other people's trip reports so helpful I've decided to post one of mine. Read more
As some of you may have noticed there's a "minor" cricket series coming up between Australia and England in Dec '13/Jan '14, which both DH and i would love to see some of; he would also like to do some Read more
· News & Features
After months of grounding due to safety and reliability concerns, the buzzed-about Boeing 787 Dreamline... Read more
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more