Fodor's New Zealand
Somerset Cottage Review
The name says it all—Somerset is a genuine country cottage, and many locals consider it one of the region's best restaurants. It's certainly consistent, serving diners from its white-linened tables since 1986. A smaller lunch menu (Wed. to Fri.) serves the same menu as in the evening, just with smaller portions. For dinner the menu is split in two - one includes the signature dishes that regular guests won't let them leave off, for example Braised Lamb Shank with roasted garlic, olive and potato pie, and oven-roasted duck, vanilla-and-coconut-scented mash with orange sauce. The other menu changes weekly, incorporating fresh and seasonal produce. Somerset also sells some of the products they cook and hosts a regular cooking school.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Thank you to all the Fodorites who helped plan this trip of a lifetime. Read more
Since this board, especially Mel, was so helpful to me while I planned my trip I wanted to pay it forward and do a short trip report. Read more
Two couples, retirees but active, traveling together we have 9 days carved out for NZ and have decided to focus on the South Island. Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand.... Read more
Phu Quoc, a fishing island in the Gulf of Thailand, is a quiet refuge of serene beaches, phenomenal seafood,... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more