Coromandel Peninsula and the Bay of Plenty Feature
Top Reasons to Go to Coromandel Peninsula and the Bay of Plenty
Beach Bounty: The forest-fringed inlets, coves, and sprawling sand dunes include some of the most popular beaches in the country. The coastline is endless; one beautiful beach after another.
Volcanoes and Vistas: From the coastal cliffs of the Coromandel to the Bay of Plenty's volcanic peak, Mauao, great views abound. Active White Island's steaming fissures are a dramatic sight by sea, air, or at the rim of the marine volcano itself.
Walking and Hiking: Follow the "footsteps of Toi" to the secluded bay of Otarawaiwere, or take a forest walk to swim in one of the lagoons formed by the tiers of Kaiate Falls. Coromandel Forest Park has a network of tracks, from easy roadside walks among kauri tree giants to overnight treks.
Watery Wonders: Dive or snorkel in the region's marine reserves, or take a swim with dolphins. Charter a boat and go deep-sea fishing, or kayak among the glowworms by moonlight.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's