Colville and Beyond
To reach land's end in the wilds of the Coromandel Peninsula—with rugged coastline, delightful coves, and pastures—take the 30-minute drive from Coromandel up to Colville. The town has a grocery store–gas station, post office, a community hall, and café, and in summer a temporary shop sells items from India and Nepal. There is also an interesting Buddha shrine, or stupa, by the Mahamudra Buddhist Centre on the drive in and public toilets with a mosaic worthy of a picture. Colville is the gateway to some of the peninsula's most untamed landscape. Maps of the area are available in Coromandel at the Visitor Information Centre and in Colville at the General Store.
Colville and Beyond at a Glance
Elsewhere in Coromandel Peninsula and the Bay of Plenty
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's