Colville and Beyond
To reach land's end in the wilds of the Coromandel Peninsula—with rugged coastline, delightful coves, and pastures—take the 30-minute drive from Coromandel up to Colville. The town has a grocery store-gas station, post office, a community hall, and café, and in summer a temporary shop sells items from India and Nepal. There is also an interesting Buddha shrine, or stupa, by the Mahamudra Buddhist Centre on the drive in and public toilets with a mosaic worthy of a picture. Colville is the gateway to some of the peninsula's most untamed landscape. Maps of the area are available in Coromandel at the Visitor Information Centre and in Colville at the General Store.
Colville and Beyond at a Glance
Elsewhere in Coromandel Peninsula and the Bay of Plenty
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand