Cathedral Cove Dive and Snorkel Hahei. Cathedral Cove Dive and Snorkel Hahei gives beginner, advanced, and dive-master courses, as well as daily dive trips in both the Te Whanganui-A-Hei Marine Reserve and around the outer islands and pinnacles. 48 Hahei Beach Road, Hahei, 3591. 07/866–3955. www.hahei.co.nz/diving.
Cathedral Cove Sea Kayaking. A great way to see this spectacular volcanic coastline is on a sea-kayaking tour with Cathedral Cove Sea Kayaking; prices start at $95 for a half-day trip, and they're happy to work with beginners. You paddle off the beach at Hahei and along the coast into sea caves. You'll visit secluded beaches as well. They take groups of eight in double kayaks and pride themselves on taking visitors to places they are unlikely to see on foot. 88 Hahei Beach Rd., Hahei, 3591. 07/866–3877 or 0800/529258. www.seakayaktours.co.nz.
Hahei Explorer. Hahei Explorer, a sturdy, eight-seater rigid inflatable boat, explores this volcanic coastline's sea caves, blowhole, beaches, headlands, and spectacular Cathedral Cove. Trips depart Hahei Beach at 10 am and 2 pm daily (ferry landing pick-up available if required). Arrive 15 minutes before departure. 07/866–3910. www.haheiexplorer.co.nz.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe