- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Once known for its hot, dry summers and sheep farms, the Waipara Valley is now an established vineyard area. The local Riesling, chardonnay, and sauvignon blanc are particularly good. Sheltered from the cool easterly wind by the Teviotdale hills, the valley records hotter temperatures than the rest of Canterbury, and warm dry autumns ensure a longer time for the grapes to mature. Winemakers are also exploiting the area's limestone soil to grow pinots—pinot noir, pinot gris, and pinotage. At least two dozen labels have sprouted up, with more to come, and the area produces more than 200,000 cases of wine a year.
Waipara Valley at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Christchurch and Canterbury
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's