- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
State Highway 1 will take you to points south from Christchurch, including Timaru. If you take State Highway 1, be prepared to share the lanes with long-haul trucks, sheep trucks, and logging vehicles. Buses to Dunedin and Invercargill pass through Timaru on the coast. Just north of the city, the turn inland at Washdyke (up State Highway 8) to Pleasant Point heads on to Mt. Cook and Queenstown.
Timaru's main shopping street, Stafford Street, was, until a few years ago, also the main road south. State Highway 1 now bypasses the main street, so to get into the center of town take a left turn off Theodesia Street at the top of the Bay Hill (it's signposted). This will also get you to the port area and Caroline Bay. To head south continue along the Theodesia Street section of State Highway 1.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's