The bell in this church's belfry came out with the Canterbury Pilgrims on one of the first Four Ships and was rung hourly to indicate time for early settlers; it is still rung every day. The original building was the first church to be built in Christchurch. The current white-timber church was built in 1872, entirely of matai, a native black pine, and has 26 English-made stained-glass windows dating back as far as 1858. It's one of the largest timber Victorian Gothic churches in Australasia. The building stood up to the 2010–11 earthquakes apart from its 1872 Bevington pipe organ, which was badly damaged but has been beautifully restored.