This impressive complex of Gothic Revival stone and wooden buildings beside the Avon River was once the seat of Canterbury's government, which ran from 1853 to 1876. The Provincial Council Chambers were significantly damaged in the 2010–11 earthquakes, and despite stabilization work, their future is uncertain. At this writing, detailed repair and permanent strengthening options are still being developed. They are the only surviving purpose-built Provincial Council chambers in the country and were one of the earliest buildings to be protected by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust. A large clock intended for the tower proved too big and normally stands a few blocks away, at the intersection of Victoria, Salisbury, and Montreal streets. It stopped at 12:51 pm (the time of the February 2011 earthquake) and is being restored to full working order.
Durham St. at Gloucester St., Christchurch, Canterbury, 8011, New Zealand