- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Talbot Street Review
You know you're in small-town New Zealand when the biggest store on the main street is the rural merchandiser. Luckily, along Geraldine's main drag, Talbot Street, you'll find other stores and galleries to browse as well. Or stop in at Talbot Forest Cheese, in the same complex, for some delicious locally made cheeses, ice creams, fudge, and other tasty delights.
Verde Café Deli. Verde Café Deli is probably the nicest café in town with a good range of cabinet and menu food and coffee. They're down a roadway behind the Louk Store, with a verandah and sunny garden seating. 45c Talbot St., Geraldine, 7930. 03/693-9616.
Barker's. For foodie treats, stop by Barker's in the Four Peaks Plaza to try fruit chutneys, fruit syrups, sauces, spreads, and tasty jams. 76 Talbot St., Geraldine. 0508/227-537 (NZ only).
Geraldine Vintage Car and Machinery Museum. At the Geraldine Vintage Car and Machinery Museum, there's some good rural stuff with more than 100 tractors (some dating back to 1912) and other farm machinery sharing space with vintage cars. Admission is $8 and the museum is open daily 9.30-4 between late September and early June. 178 Talbot St., Geraldine. 03/693-8756.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1298 -- New Zealand in 'Summer' w/Tahiti Stop, $795 Off Air Tahiti Nui & Tourism New Zealand
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T — $1,120 Air New Zealand
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/Tours — $2,999 Down Under Answers
- $2699 & up -- Cook Islands, Sydney & New Zealand Trip w/Air — $2,699 Down Under Answers
We have just returned from two weeks in the land of the long white cloud although we only saw cloud on two days and rain on one!
We spent a week in the Bay of Islands with the highlight being sailing i Read more
Hi, all -- since I find other people's trip reports so helpful I've decided to post one of mine. Read more
For some time I've been haunting these boards and butting into other people's threads, so i thought that it was high time that I had a go at working out my own itinerary for you all to take pot shots at. Read more
· News & Features
Niagara Falls is a bucket-list-worthy sight to behold, whether you're ogling it from the Canada side,... Read more
A sculpture of a Greek goddess welcomes you in from the streets of London's Soho neighborhood.... Read more
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more