- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New Zealand
Arthur's Pass Wilderness Lodge
At a Glance
- on alternate days, you can muster sheep with border collies and help blade-shear sheep the old-fashioned way
- quite remote if you like shopping
Check Rates from our Partners
Arthur's Pass Wilderness Lodge Review
Surrounded by spectacular peaks, beech forests, and serene lakes, this sophisticated back-to-nature lodge shares 2,400 hectares (6,000 acres) with its own high-country merino sheep station and nature reserve in a valley called Te Ko Awa a Aniwaniwa (Valley of the Mother of Rainbows). Rooms have balcony views of this incredible area. Full-day guided trips can take you to limestone caves, a tranquil lake, a glacier basin, or to spots where you might glimpse rare alpine plants and kea (native mountain parrot); you'll soon share the owners' passion for preserving this environment. There is a sister lodge at Lake Moeraki on the West Coast.
- Address: 130 km (81 mi) west of Christchurch, State Hwy. 73, Arthur's Pass, 7580 | Map It
- Phone: 03/318–9246
- Website: www.wildernesslodge.co.nz
- Location: Arthur's Pass National Park
- 20 rooms, 4 suites.
- Rate includes some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed June and July.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Thank you to all the Fodorites who helped plan this trip of a lifetime. Read more
Since this board, especially Mel, was so helpful to me while I planned my trip I wanted to pay it forward and do a short trip report. Read more
We are a couple in our mid 60's taking our first trip to NZ & Australia.
Since we will be flying from Boston, USA, we will stay a night in LA and then on to Aukland. We are now thinking maybe one week Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more