Arthur's Pass Wilderness Lodge
At a Glance
- on alternate days, you can muster sheep with border collies and help blade-shear sheep the old-fashioned way
- quite remote if you like shopping
Check Rates from our Partners
Arthur's Pass Wilderness Lodge Review
Surrounded by spectacular peaks, beech forests, and serene lakes, this sophisticated back-to-nature lodge shares 2,400 hectares (6,000 acres) with its own high-country merino sheep station and nature reserve in a valley called Te Ko Awa a Aniwaniwa (Valley of the Mother of Rainbows). Rooms have balcony views of this incredible area. Full-day guided trips can take you to limestone caves, a tranquil lake, a glacier basin, or to spots where you might glimpse rare alpine plants and kea (native mountain parrot); you'll soon share the owners' passion for preserving this environment. There is a sister lodge at Lake Moeraki on the West Coast.
- Address: 130 km (81 mi) west of Christchurch, State Hwy. 73, Arthur's Pass, 7580 | Map It
- Phone: 03/318–9246
- Website: www.wildernesslodge.co.nz
- Location: Arthur's Pass National Park
- 20 rooms, 4 suites
- Rate includes some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed June and July.
View deals in Christchurch and Canterbury for vacation packages, hotels, airfare, and more from our partners!More