- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Arthur's Pass Wilderness Lodge
At a Glance
- on alternate days, you can muster sheep with border collies and help blade-shear sheep the old-fashioned way
- the owners are committed to preserving the alpine environment
- quite remote if you prefer shopping
- a one-night stop is not enough to experience the activities and environment here
Arthur's Pass Wilderness Lodge Review
Surrounded by spectacular peaks, beech forests, and serene lakes, this sophisticated back-to-nature lodge shares 6,000 acres with its own working 5,000-sheep farm and nature reserve in a valley called Te Ko Awa a Aniwaniwa (Valley of the Mother of Rainbows) by its first Māori visitors. From a hillside perch it overlooks the Waimakariri River, which has carved a gaping swath through the pass. Rooms have balcony views of this incredible area. By taking advantage of the walks and guided, nature day trips with resident biologists (several included in the rate), you'll get to share the owners' passion for preserving this environment. Full-day guided trips in the region can take you to limestone caves, a tranquil lake, a glacier basin, or to spots where you can glimpse rare alpine plants and cheeky kea (the native mountain parrot). There is a sister lodge at Lake Moeraki on the West Coast.
- Address: 130 km (81 mi) west of Christchurch on State Hwy. 73, Arthur's Pass, 7580 | Map It
- Phone: 03/318–9246
- Website: www.wildernesslodge.co.nz
- Location: Arthur's Pass National Park
- 20 rooms, 4 suites.
- Rate includes some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed June and July.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Hai everyone... I finally visited New Zealand... Yeay!!!! I am pretty proud of myself because I did all the driving and planning... We had 12 days journey in North Island from October 13 to October 24.. Read more
August 15-Sept 14, 2013
My love affair with the South Island of New Zealand continues. Read more
Hi guys, I'm starting to organize my wardrobe for 5 days in Sydney and 10 day cruise to Auckland on Regent Voyager in January. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more