- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New Zealand
Arthur's Pass Wilderness Lodge
At a Glance
- on alternate days, you can muster sheep with border collies and help blade-shear sheep the old-fashioned way
- quite remote if you like shopping
Check Rates from our Partners
Arthur's Pass Wilderness Lodge Review
Surrounded by spectacular peaks, beech forests, and serene lakes, this sophisticated back-to-nature lodge shares 2,400 hectares (6,000 acres) with its own high-country merino sheep station and nature reserve in a valley called Te Ko Awa a Aniwaniwa (Valley of the Mother of Rainbows). Rooms have balcony views of this incredible area. Full-day guided trips can take you to limestone caves, a tranquil lake, a glacier basin, or to spots where you might glimpse rare alpine plants and kea (native mountain parrot); you'll soon share the owners' passion for preserving this environment. There is a sister lodge at Lake Moeraki on the West Coast.
- Address: 130 km (81 mi) west of Christchurch, State Hwy. 73, Arthur's Pass, 7580 | Map It
- Phone: 03/318–9246
- Website: www.wildernesslodge.co.nz
- Location: Arthur's Pass National Park
- 20 rooms, 4 suites.
- Rate includes some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed June and July.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Thank you to all the Fodorites who helped plan this trip of a lifetime. Read more
Since this board, especially Mel, was so helpful to me while I planned my trip I wanted to pay it forward and do a short trip report. Read more
Which bus tours of GrayLine took you to the most beautiful and scenic places? Read more
· News & Features
Our resident cruise expert doles out tips and advice for solo cruisers looking to save money on thei ... Read more
Navigate the chaotic street food scene of Ho Chi Minh City like a pro with our quick guide to no-fuss... Read more
Come for the beautiful architecture and stay for the vibrant local culture.... Read more