- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The best way to get to Methven by car is the underused Scenic Highway 72, which you can join near Darfield, or via Hororata (but be wary of icy spots in the shade and hidden speed cameras on these straight roads). You could also travel down the busy State Highway 1 to Rakaia and take Thompson's Track (clearly signposted and paved) to Methven. Or join it from the north at Amberley, passing through Oxford and Sheffield. This stretch of highway, known as the Inland Scenic Route, makes a nice day drive from Christchurch, taking in the upper Rakaia and Rangitata River gorges, the small towns of Darfield, Methven, and Geraldine, scenic views of the Southern Alps, and the wide open farmlands of the plains.
There are plenty of buses from Christchurch to Methven and Mt. Hutt in ski season, but the options drop off in summer. Mt. Hutt SNOWBUS runs daily in winter, and Methven Travel runs a daily bus in winter and four times a week in summer.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1298 -- New Zealand in 'Summer' w/Tahiti Stop, $795 Off Air Tahiti Nui & Tourism New Zealand
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T — $1,120 Air New Zealand
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/Tours — $2,999 Down Under Answers
- $2699 & up -- Cook Islands, Sydney & New Zealand Trip w/Air — $2,699 Down Under Answers