- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mt. Somers Track. One of New Zealand's top 10 walkways, the Mt. Somers Track is a great way to get a taste of the subalpine New Zealand bush. Start at the Mt. Somers-Woolshed Creek end and hike downhill to the Staveley end and Sharplin Falls. The 16-km (10-mi) walk will take one to two days, and there are two huts to stay in along the way—or do it in reverse. Call the Staveley Village Store (03/303-0859) for information on transport to the end of the trail; there are a number of small guiding companies. www.ashburtondistrict.co.nz/newzealand/hiking/.
Rakaia Gorge Walkway. Leaving from just below the Rakaia River Gorge bridge, the Rakaia Gorge Walkway provides upstream access to the northern bank of the river and offers easy walking. You can also take a jet-boat upriver and walk back—just name your distance. www.ashburtondistrict.co.nz/newzealand/hiking/.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1298 -- New Zealand in 'Summer' w/Tahiti Stop, $795 Off Air Tahiti Nui & Tourism New Zealand
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T — $1,120 Air New Zealand
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/Tours — $2,999 Down Under Answers
- $2699 & up -- Cook Islands, Sydney & New Zealand Trip w/Air — $2,699 Down Under Answers