- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mt. Somers Track. One of New Zealand's top 10 walkways, the Mt. Somers Track is a great way to get a taste of the subalpine New Zealand bush. Start at the Mt. Somers–Woolshed Creek end and hike downhill to the Staveley end and Sharplin Falls. The 16-km (10-mi) walk will take one to two days, and there are two huts to stay in along the way—or do it in reverse. Call the Staveley Village Store before you start your trip (03/303–0859) for information on transport to the end of the trail; there are a number of small guiding companies. www.doc.govt.nz.
Rakaia Gorge Walkway. Leaving from just below the Rakaia River Gorge bridge, the Rakaia Gorge Walkway provides upstream access to the northern bank of the river and offers easy walking. You can also take a jet boat up river and walk back—just name your distance. St. Hwy. 72, Methven. www.methveninfo.co.nz.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's