- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Aoraki Balloon Safaris. On a clear morning you might catch a glimpse of a rainbow-striped balloon floating high above Methven—chances are it's Aoraki Balloon Safaris. From their balloons, you get an incredible view of the patchwork pattern of farm paddocks, the braided systems of the Rakaia and Ashburton rivers, and a full 300-km (190-mi) panorama of the Canterbury Plains and Aoraki/Mt. Cook, the "Cloud Piercer". On landing, you'll be served a buffet breakfast. Flights start at daybreak, and you'll be pitching in to help with the launch. The actual time in the air is about one hour, but the whole experience takes at least four hours, starting at daybreak. Rates for Premier flights include breakfast in a meadow after landing.) 121 Main St., Methven, 7730. 03/302–8172; 0800/256–837 (NZ only). email@example.com. www.nzballooning.com. From $NZ385 per person.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's