- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bridle Path. Quail Island is a good option, but if you'd rather stay on the mainland, you could instead follow in the trail of the early settlers by taking the Bridle Path. The steep zigzag track goes from Cunningham Street up to the crater rim. You can walk to the Gondola Summit Station, a few minutes' farther, to see the Canterbury Plains from the site of the memorial to the pioneer women, or walk down the rest of the trail to finish near the Christchurch Gondola base station. A number 28 bus will take you to Lyttelton, and the same bus will pick you up on the other side. Allow an hour and a half for the walk—some of which is quite steep. Bridal Path at Cunningham Terr., Lyttelton, 8082.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's