Christchurch and Canterbury Hotels
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Christchurch and Canterbury Hotel Reviews
At this writing the central city is off-limits and inside a cordon, meaning many of the city's hotels are inaccessible. But there are plenty of alternatives from boutique B&Bs and small hotels just outside the city center to quality options around Riccarton, Merivale, the airport, and north. The central city hotels should come back on stream over 2012-2013.
No matter where you stay in Christchurch, you'll find some of the best lodging in New Zealand. The two main motel strips are along Papanui Road and Riccarton Road, both outside the city center. There is also B&B and boutique lodge accommodation in Merivale and around Riccarton. Most of the bigger hotels are in the central city, and these will become available again through 2012 and 2013. The more substantial lodges tend to be out in the hinterland. Many accommodations do not include breakfast in their room rates. Reservations are most necessary in summer, on public holidays, and during rugby game finals.
Outside Christchurch, it can be hard to find a place to stay in summer, especially over the holidays. If you're planning on going to Akaroa, Hanmer Springs, or Waipara during peak season, be sure to reserve well in advance. Bookings can also be heavy in winter around the ski areas and during school holidays.
Browse Christchurch and Canterbury Hotels
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1298 -- New Zealand in 'Summer' w/Tahiti Stop, $795 Off Air Tahiti Nui & Tourism New Zealand
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T — $1,120 Air New Zealand
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/Tours — $2,999 Down Under Answers
- $2699 & up -- Cook Islands, Sydney & New Zealand Trip w/Air — $2,699 Down Under Answers