- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The Hanmer Connection runs a daily service between Hanmer Springs and Christchurch. Service goes through Waipara on the way. By car, take State Highway 1 north out of Christchurch. About 45 minutes north, State Highway 7 turns left off the main highway toward Nelson. From here drive through the small town of Culverden and the foothills for another 45 minutes on State Highway 7, before turning onto Highway 7A toward Hanmer Springs (this is well signposted).
Navigation around Hanmer Springs is easy, as it's a really small place. The main road into town, Amuri Drive, is a wide tree-lined road, with the thermal resort and visitor center opening off it. Conical Hill Road carries on up the hill and has most of the stores and cafés along its lower portion. Jacks Pass Road to the left and Jollies Pass Road to the right lead to the great outdoors and many of the adventure activities.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's