- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
State Highway 1 is the fastest route there from Christchurch; just after crossing the Rangitata River, turn inland for about 10 minutes on State Highway 79. State Highway 72—known as the Inland Scenic Route—gives you closer views of the mountains and river gorges but takes a bit longer. The rolling downs around Geraldine are especially breathtaking in the late afternoon, when the sun turns them golden.
Because Geraldine is between Christchurch and the popular draws of Aoraki/Mt. Cook and Queenstown, it's served by several bus companies, including InterCity and Atomic Shuttles.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's