Christchurch and Canterbury Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Enterprising local tourist offices have sketched out thematically linked, self-guided sightseeing routes throughout the region. You can pick up pamphlets at the pertinent visitor bureaus. The following are the best of the bunch:
Alpine Pacific Triangle. This links three of the most popular getaways in Canterbury: Waipara, Hanmer Springs, and Kaikoura.
The Peninsula Pioneers. Pick up a brochure from the Akaroa visitor center for information on five different routes through the Banks Peninsula bays. Keep in mind that some of the bay roads are narrow, unpaved, and steep.
Pioneer Trail. Connecting several historic sights between Timaru and Geraldine, this route includes the Richard Pearse Memorial, dedicated to a local aviation innovator.
Scenic Highway 72. Scenic Highway 72 runs from Amberley, north of Christchurch, along the foothills of the Southern Alps through two spectacular gorges, past Geraldine to Winchester. You can join up with it at various points along the way.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's