- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Once reopened you'll find the inner city is compact and easy to explore by foot; the central sights can be reached during an afternoon's walk. Four avenues (Bealey, Fitzgerald, Moorhouse, and Rolleston) define the city center. Beyond this core are a number of special-interest museums and activities, about 20 minutes away by car.
Outside the Four Avenues, the best way to get around the city is to use the network of buses. The central bus exchange was destroyed, but at this writing Metro has plans to move to a central interchange as soon as possible. Contact MetroInfo at 03/366–8855 or firstname.lastname@example.org to check where the exchanges are located and the routes available to you at the time of your stay. Once in Christchurch you can purchase a Metrocard from any of the temporary exchanges or a Metro Agent (check www.metroinfo.co.nz for a list of agents); a Metrocard is a preloaded card that will give 25% cheaper fares. You can also top-off these cards once you have used the initial funds on it. Although not running at this writing, the Christchurch Best Attractions bus service provides transport (combinable with the entry fees) for several attractions: Willowbank, the Gondola, and the Antarctic Center at NZ$6.50 per attraction. Check ahead to learn whether service has resumed.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's