- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Canterbury fans are as rugby-mad as the rest of the country. In fact the first match ever played in New Zealand took place in 1862 in Cranmer Square, in central Christchurch. Every Saturday in winter you can catch little All-Blacks-in-the-making playing games in Hagley Park and suburban parks.
AMI Stadium. Once it reopens (it's expected to reopen in stages through 2012), you can cheer the Crusaders, the Canterbury rugby team, on their home turf at AMI Stadium, which began life in 1880 as Lancaster Park. In summer it's the city's premier cricket ground. The season runs from February through September. The stadium also hosts All Blacks games and international cricket matches. 30 Stevens St., Phillipstown, 8011. 03/379–1765. www.amistadium.co.nz.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe