- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Godley Head Farm Park. Once the Summit Rd. from Christchurch to Lyttelton reopens you will be able to visit the Godley Head Farm Park. Take the coast road through Sumner then take a left turn at the summit intersection. The road climbs and winds for several kilometers before breaking out above Lyttelton Harbour with startling views to the hills of Banks Peninsula. Take a walk around the buildings of the World War II coastal defense battery built in 1939 and now rated as one of the country's significant defense-heritage sites. There's also a 1½-hour walking track from here back to Taylors Mistake near Sumner (although you'll need to arrange a pickup at the other end, or plan on a 3-hour round trip). The Godley Head lookout is particularly exciting in a strong southerly wind! A number of these tracks were damaged in the earthquakes and will slowly reopen as they are repaired.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel