- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Godley Head—Taylors Mistake Walkway. To reach this scenic track take the coast road through Sumner then take a left turn at the summit intersection. The road climbs and winds for several kilometers before breaking out above Lyttelton Harbour with startling views to the hills of Banks Peninsula. You'll see some of the World War II coastal defense battery built in 1939; rated one of the country's significant defense-heritage sites, but following the earthquakes, the gun emplacements are now fenced off. There's also a 1½-hour walking track from here back to Taylors Mistake near Sumner (although you'll need to arrange a pickup at the other end, or plan on a 3-hour round trip). The Godley Head lookout is particularly exciting in a strong southerly wind! www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/tracks-and-walks.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's