- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
For any confident driver the road through Arthur's Pass is a glorious drive—sealed all the way, but with a few steep, gnarly sections in the middle. The train and bus tours are also good options, but you lose the flexibility to stop and do a walk or follow a waterfall track, or to just admire the breathtaking scenery if you're stuck on a tour.
To drive there from Christchurch head out on the West Coast Road—it is particularly well signposted from town. The turnoff is near the airport. There is only one road over the Alps within 100 km (62 mi) either way, so you can't go wrong. The road heads out through the small town of Springfield then heads up towards Porter's Pass and Cass before hitting the real stuff at Arthur's Pass.
Information on the park is available on the Department of Conservation's Web site and at the DOC-run Arthur's Pass Visitor Center. The Arthur's Pass Mountaineering site is another good source for information on local mountaineering conditions.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe