- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The main route to Akaroa is State Highway 75, which leaves the southwest corner of Christchurch as Lincoln Road. The 82-km (50-mi) drive takes about 90 minutes. You can also head out through Lyttelton and Teddington, then over the hill to Little River for a really-scenic-but-slightly longer trip.
If you'd rather not drive, the Akaroa Shuttle has daily service between Christchurch and Akaroa throughout the year: up to three trips a day in high season (December-April) ranging from a direct shuttle to a scenic tour. Direct shuttles run twice a day in summer from Christchurch, with an extra run on Friday night, and there are three runs a day from Akaroa. They also run a Banks Peninsula Lunch Tour, with a minimum of three passengers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe