- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Local rush hours last from 7 to 9 am and 4:30 to 6:30 pm, but if it's wet add half an hour. The main motorways all have convenient city turnoffs, but watch the signs carefully. The main road into and out of Auckland is State Highway 1. Off-ramps are clearly marked. Most areas have meter parking, and you can pay by coin or credit card. Fines are hefty if you overstay your time.
Auckland taxi rates vary with the company. Most are around NZ$2 per kilometer (½ mi), but some charge as much as NZ$4. Flag-fall, when the meters start, is usually NZ$2. The rates are listed on the driver's door. Most taxis accept major credit cards.
Alert Taxis (09/309–2000.)
Auckland Cooperative Taxi Service (09/300–3000.)
Corporate Cabs. An upmarket cab company with branches in New Zealand's major tourist cities. 09/377–0773.
Eastern Taxis (09/534–4644.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe