- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Auckland Hotel Reviews
For expanded hotel reviews, visit Fodors.com.
As New Zealand's gateway city, Auckland has most of the large international chain hotels, as well as plenty of comfortable bed-and-breakfasts, mom-and-pop motels, and other individually owned places. Many of the large flashy hotels cluster around the central business district (CBD), whereas B&Bs tend to congregate in the nearby or trendier neighborhoods. Many of the best are in suburbs close to the city center like Devonport and Ponsonby. You'll find your hosts quite chatty and keen to recommend local sights but equally happy to offer you privacy.
November to March are the busiest months for Auckland hotels, so it pays to book by August to ensure you get your first choice. Hotel rooms are usually equipped with TVs, hair dryers, ironing boards, and basic toiletries. All the major hotels have parking at a price. A number of the B&Bs offer parking, an especially useful perk since they're usually in narrow city center streets. Better yet, B&Bs generally don't charge for parking. High-speed Internet access is standard in hotels and B&Bs, and a computer is almost always available if you didn't bring a laptop. B&B owners can generally be relied on for insider knowledge on what's best close by, and many will make reservations or other arrangements for you. Only the hotels tend to have air-conditioning, but this isn't a problem when you can fling open the windows and let in the fresh air.
Browse Auckland Hotels
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1298 -- New Zealand in 'Summer' w/Tahiti Stop, $795 Off Air Tahiti Nui & Tourism New Zealand
- $1299* -- Auckland or Sydney R/T Air from LA w/2 Nts in Fiji — $1,299 PacificIslands.com
- $4599 -- Sydney, Cairns, Auckland Trip w/4-Nt. Reef Cruise — $4,599 Air New Zealand Vacations
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T — $1,120 Air New Zealand