- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Volcano Views in Auckland
Auckland is built on and around 48 volcanoes, and the tops provide sweeping views of the city.
It's thought that Māori settled on the volcanoes beginning in the 14th century, taking advantage of the fertile soils. There's evidence that in the 16th century the Māori used the cones as defensive pā (fortified villages). Evidence of complex earthworks can be seen on Mt. Eden and One Tree Hill where Māori cleared volcanic stone to develop garden plots and formed the terraces that are features of pā.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's