Running in Auckland
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Auckland's favorite public running route is Tamaki Drive, a 10-km (6-mi) route that heads east from the city along the south shore of Waitemata Harbour and ends at St. Heliers Bay. The Auckland Domain is popular with lunchtime runners. The YMCA runs regular events leaving from a grandstand in the domain.
Another good place to run is Cornwall Park, which is about 15 minutes south of the central business district. It provides nice open paddocks, tree-lined avenues, and a fantastic hill climb if you are looking for views with your aerobic workout.
Another fantastic run follows the coast from Point England on the Tamaki Estuary. This run isn't well-known, despite its following marked trails, and it hugs the coast, passing a bird-and-nature sanctuary. It's not hard running, and exit points allow you to find a bus stop to take you back to the city. If you are superfit, just keep heading north to the city and you'll eventually meet up with Tamaki Drive.
On the North Shore try running from Milford Beach to Takapuna Beach and on weekends join members of the North Harbour Triathlon Club at 7 am to swim along the beach from the boat ramp at the northern end of the beach. They are quite friendly and will keep an eye on you, though you will need a wet suit, goggles, and cap.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's