Biking in Auckland
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Auckland can be good for cycling if you stick to certain areas, such as around the waterfront. If you are traveling with a road bike and want to join some cyclists for a "bunch ride," then there are a number of options. Groups of cyclists leave designated points around the Auckland region most mornings and welcome guests. Just call any cycle shop and they'll point you in the right direction. On weekends the bunch rides can cover up to 150 km (93 mi) and will show you parts of the countryside that most won't get to see, plus stop off for a mandatory coffee.
Adventure Cycles. This outfit can provide maps of biking routes that avoid pitfalls such as traffic and roadwork (and there's always roadwork in Auckland). Bikes run from NZ$25 for a full day to NZ$230 for a month. You can even bring your own saddle and pedals. A full range of related gear, like panniers, helmets, and lights, can also be rented. Here for a while? The friendly crew will sell you a bike and then buy it back for half price. Though the company does not organize bike tours, it provides as much information as needed. It's closed Tuesday and Wednesday. 9 Premier Ave., Western Springs, Auckland, 1022. 09/940–2453. www.adventure-auckland.co.nz/adventurecycles.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's