Biking in Auckland
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Auckland can be good for cycling if you stick to certain areas, such as around the waterfront. If you are traveling with a road bike and want to join some cyclists for a "bunch ride," then there are a number of options. Groups of cyclists leave designated points around the Auckland region most mornings and welcome guests. Just call any cycle shop and they'll point you in the right direction. On weekends the bunch rides can cover up to 150 km (93 mi) and will show you parts of the countryside that most won't get to see, plus stop off for a mandatory coffee.
Adventure Cycles. Adventure Cycles arms you with maps of biking routes that avoid pitfalls such as traffic and road-works. Touring bikes are NZ$20 for a full day. Mountain bikes are NZ$25. There are weekly and monthly prices and racks for cars can be rented. The rental fee includes helmets. While the company does not organize cycle tours it will provide as much information as needed. Open every day except Tuesday and Wednesday. 9 Premier Ave., Western Springs, Auckland, 1022. 021/245–3868.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe